Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sunday in the chapel with Josh…

10:55 Arrive in church, sit down

11:01 Not liking the boundaries of the pew, Josh starts to voice his discontent…foyer

11:15 Back in the chapel

11:16 Discover that big sister ate all his snacks so there is nothing to stuff in his mouth to stop the screeching…foyer

11:25 Under the delusion that he’ll be quiet, I take him to the back of the chapel where he squirms out of my arms and begins pounding on the metal chairs of the overflow. He accompanies the drumming with deafening squeals of delight (convincing everyone I did not give birth to a child, but a howler monkey). foyer

11:42 Back into the chapel where I give my husband the skunk eye and tell him it’s his turn. I position myself as far away from Josh as I can

11:50 Josh toddles over to me with a big toothy grin. Who can resist that? Sits on my lap for 2.5 seconds before bouncing up to check the action on the pew behind us. They have magnetix, we do not. More discontent. Foy-errrr

11:59 Chapel again. Forcefully hand Josh to his dad and sit down, pretending to be from another country and don’t speak English. Ruckus. Dadoo takes Josh to the foyer.

12:01 Five year old begins to have a melt down because I tell her she needs to sit up. Are you kidding me? FOYER

12:03 Hand off five year old to Dadoo and I take over with Josh who wants ME. I mentally wave a white flag and take him outside to walk around the church. He, naturally, wants to crawl in the parking lot. I pick him up and carry him around the church

12:20 Back in the church and sacrament meeting is over

WHY DO I BOTHER?!?!?

5 comments:

LAYTON FAMILY said...

Ahhhh...MY LIFE!!! Except that I am in the foyer with a 4 year old because her 12 year old brother loves to hear the sound of her screaming. I've asked myself 'why do I bother' for 15 years now. Only about 14 more to go!

Anonymous said...

You are so darn funny.
Sorry I'm laughing but WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE!! Secret...the foyer is more fun! I long for the foyer days- so enjoy it :)

PS How do you like French Women Don't Get Fat? I liked it a lot.

LAYTON FAMILY said...

anyone can play top ten tuesday with us! however, if you start you have to keep playing or i'll take my ball and go home.

Joan said...

You bother because you know that that is where you are supposed to be. The kids will learn that it is important to you and will remember that. You will get the sacrament....the most important part... and that this too will pass. Yea, I have been there with 3little kids and with no husband to help so I KNOW how hard it can be. Hang in there, take deep breaths, and count to 10. Your children are darling.

Joan

Kaye said...

Hmm... couldn't have been THAT bad!!! I didn't notice a thing! I keep waiting for some child being dragged out of the chapel to yell, "Bishop, help me!" I think our Bish would be up in a heatbeat! THAT would make Sacrament Meeting more interesting!!!