Monday, September 15, 2008

Channeling Charlotte Bronte

I have had, for the past year now, a fear of books. I know, sounds ridiculous doesn’t it? But I’m not one of those readers who can nibble on books--the type of person who can pick up a book and put it down again, change a diaper, fix a meal and then pick it back up again…not without major anxiety that is. No. I am a passionate reader. I devour books (unless the writing is awful…I can chuck one of those books at anytime). Last October a friend pushed the book Twilight into my hands and made me promise to read it on our road trip to California. I just couldn't do it. It gathered dust on the piano at home while we were on the Nemo Submarine ride at Disneyland.

So it was with more than a little anxiety that I picked up this months book club read, Jane Eyre. It's one of my favorites. I almost lost my job over this book years ago when a coworker and I were reading it at the same time and sat with our heads together discussing Jane and Mr. Rochester rather than working.

Last week I was immersed in Jane Eyre. Not content to merely read the novel, I watched as many dramatic interpretations as possible, the absolute best being the Masterpiece Theater production...sucked me in and still hasn't let me go. I think I managed pretty well, however. My son ran out of socks and my husband...underwear. We made do with grilled cheese for dinner a couple of nights but no one died.

Now...what shall I read next!?

Always happy to post a picture of a handsome man...the brooding and oh-so-sexy Mr. Rochester (a-la Toby Stephens)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

What about the Three Musketeers. It should be fun. It isn't really isn't Jane-like. The author is French.

Anonymous said...

I loved the PBS version of Jane Eyre! Once you get past Jane's pointy upper lip, it's wonderful!!! I recently read a short bio on the Bronte sisters and their dogs. Gobbled it up.

PS Twilight...do not waste your time! Maybe I am the only woman in all of Utah/the world who find this overtly sexual book aimed at teens really shallow. I read/chocked down the first to see the hype and wasn't remotely sucked (pun intended) in. How many times did she have to say Edward's eyes....Edward's jaw line....blah!!!!