Monday, September 15, 2008

One thing more and then I’ll shut up...

I really can’t recommend the Masterpiece Theater production of Jane Eyre enough. It overshadows past efforts where the acting was wooden and the portrayals of Rochester and Jane, cold and severe.

Ruth Wilson is an enigmatic Jane, brilliantly showing Jane’s progression from plain and obscure girl to a passionate, feeling woman. Toby Stephens is marvelous as Rochester. He’s handsome but not pretty. He’s moody and brooding but sensitive.

If you are looking for an interpretation that brings the passion of Jane Eyre to the screen…this is the one.


The link to the PBS website which gives some great information on the production of Jane Eyre, the locations (gorgeous!) and some history

1 comment:

Kaye said...

OK, OK. I have never read Jane Eyre. I have never even watched the movie! I guess it is time. . . despite the fact that I have avoided Bronte like the plague for 25 years! Maybe I'll have to go give it a whirl!