Friday, August 29, 2008

Living Vicariously Through Others...

I'm actually a frightening person. Ok, not too threatening. Just mildly psychotic. It's how I survive. My husband says I don't want real life, I want perfection. This, I suppose, explains my love for old movies and 1950's sitcoms.

When I was younger, a family friend thought I should be an actress when I grew up. When I asked her why, she said, "Because you are always pretending to be someone else." Hmmm. As a kid I had this picture on my dressing table…




…fine and dandy, except I used to pretend Clark Gable and Carole Lombard were my real parents. As a teenager I was fixated on Princess Diana and Gone with the Wind. In my early twenties, I'd walk around the track at BYU giving imaginary interviews to Barbara Walters about my "relationship" with JFK Jr. And up to a few days before my wedding, I had an ENORMOUS poster of Brad Pitt on my closet door.





But marriage and three kids have been a major reality check. In fact, nothing gets your feet on the ground faster than a mortgage, runny noses and homework deadlines. Oh, I'm still living vicariously through others. However, these days my fantasies revolve around things like a clean house, an empty laundry hamper and landscaping. I dream about developing Tanya's organizational skills, acquiring LJ's culinary sense, and I just plain covet Joan's beautiful front yard. But good things come to those who wait, right?

So, I’m not walking down the red carpet, I’m cleaning it. But real life, it turns out, suits me just fine. At the end of the day, I have three kids who wrap their arms around me and bestow the most delicious hugs. I love being a mom. And I'm pretty sure that's not just because some days I walk around pretending to be June Cleaver.


Waaaay cuter than Mr. Pitt...


2 comments:

LAYTON FAMILY said...

"I'm not walking down the red carpet, I'm cleaning it...." I'm SOOO quoting you! Loved this post! (Except you left out your 1989 obsession with Ivana Trump.)

Joan said...

Laura, I don't know if I ever told you that my son-in law's sister (Tracy) was married to John Gable, Clark's son. They gave Colett and Matt a coffee table that was Clark Gable's. They call it the Gable table. They are a pretty messed up family and John Gable is a druggie of the worst kind. Tracy divorced him about 13 years ago and married the lead singer from the group "Chicago". We party with them sometimes and at New Years I did duets with him as he was doing a live feed to his fan groupies. He also sang at Colett's wedding reception. That's my story of rubbing shoulders with greatness. LOL

Joan