Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bye-Bye buggie...

Today I started to disassemble Katie's beloved "bug blankie." This thing is over 8 years old. I received it from an old neighbor (many thanks to Margaret Olpin!) as a gift to Jared before he was born. Katie took it over when she was about two and we've never looked back. It goes with her on trips and she will not sleep without it. Consequently...it is well loved. It's torn. The batting has lost it's stiffness (making it perfectly huggable according to Kate) and it's becoming a tattered mess. Frequently, Ford removes it from her slack arms at night with a pair of tongs and a gas mask...carrying it straight to the washing machine.

A neighborhood friend just went into the machine quilting business. I am going to offer Katie's blanket as a practice piece because, frankly, no matter how awkward the quilting...it will be an improvement. The only problem lies with Katie-bug. I told her it would take well over a week before she'd get her beloved blanket back. I thought she understood this, until today when she saw me unpicking seams. She looked at the blanket, disintegrating in my lap and said, "Mom...that won't be done today, huh?" I said, "No." She shook her head and said, "That's ok. Tomorrow is fine."


No comments: