Thursday, December 4, 2008

Speechless

Ok. I’m not ever really speechless. Those of you who are not politically minded, my apologies. I’m about to speak my mind…again.

Do I really live in a country where racial prejudice is still so strong that our newly elected President, just based on the color of his skin, is now the target of assassination plots and bigoted ridicule? I was raised in a family that taught me to be color blind. I was taught to form my opinions of people based on who they are and what they think, not on the color of their skin or their cultural background. I admit that I don’t agree with many (many) of President Elect Obama’s views, but that has nothing to do with his race.

Speaking of prejudice…how interesting to be a target of it.

I have been surprised and disappointed by the homosexual community’s reaction to the passing of Proposition 8. I saw last night, the latest assault on the Mormon Church in the form of a televised ad. I’m confused. What is the goal of this ad? Physical attacks against Mormons? Or how about discrimination based on religion? Thousands of people showed up to exercise their constitutional right to vote. The fact is members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe in the sanctity of the family. They organized, got the word out and voted their conscience. Didn’t the homosexual community organize and vote as well? No one is trying to legislate homosexuality. LDS support of Proposition 8 was support of the definition of family.

Speaking of families…I’d better go take care of mine.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Good for you! Thanks for expressing your opinion!

Joan said...

Amen to it all!!

A Musing Mother said...

Well said, my friend. Can we say "hypocrisy"? Very good.