Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ode to Joan...


It took me awhile this year to feel the Christmas spirit. The first inkling came after I knocked on my neighbor, Joan's, front door. When she answered, her step ladder was in the front hall surrounded by burgeoning boxes of Christmas decorations and garlands. My inner child (complete with pigtails and skinned knees) came alive in a heartbeat. You see...no one keeps Christmas like Joan. I have an exclusive invitation into "Christmas Central" when our book club winds up a year of good reads at her house. Her home is a visual Christmas card. Each year I expect a photo crew from Better Homes and Gardens to interrupt our festivities. I purposefully drive the long way out of the neighborhood at night to pass her house, complete with candy-colored lights and festooned wreaths. It's not hard to explain the appeal. It reminds me of my home in Missouri. My Mom did Christmas the way Joan does Christmas. Every year my brother and I eagerly waited for the day after Thanksgiving when the boxes would come out of storage and our home turned into something magical.

Thanks Joan!

1 comment:

Joan said...

Oh, thank you Laura for the "ode". It's true I am a Christmas junkie. I always get sad when I have to take everything down. I love to share my decorations too and glad we can have book club here. I am still playing Christmas music and will until New Years. You are sweet!!