Monday, June 29, 2009

How Far Would you Go for Good
Cheese Fries?
A favorite hang out in High School, it's where you find
truly great cheese fries--no equal, anywhere
(and believe me...I've looked)
I just returned from a trip long over due--back to my hometown in Missouri. It was WONDERFUL. Ok. It was wonderful for me. I dragged my sister-in-law along and all my shouted enthusiasm was somewhat lost on her:

“Look! That’s my High School.”
“There’s my old house!”
“I made out in that parking lot!”
“I learned to roller skate there!”(ok…that one was a lie. I never learned to roller skate. I learned to fall down.)

Mmm-mm. You can take the girl out of Missouri but you can’t take the Missouri out of the girl. Going back home I felt like I met pieces of myself. Pieces not lost, but maybe forgotten. There are some really lovely things about the Midwest. The pace is slower, the people are completely genuine. LJ remarked on how kind and polite everyone was. Family friends took time out of their busy day to talk to me. I went to church and was treated like a lost treasure. My heart expanded two sizes just seeing some of these people again.

Here are some highlights...

Outside the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art home to my favorite painting in the
world, Mrs. Cecil Wade by John Singer-Sargent
Exterior and Interior shots of Union Station in Kansas City,
one of the most sublime places on the planet
We stayed in downtown Kansas City, two blocks from the Power
and Light District

The J.C. Nichols fountain at the entrance to the
Country Club Plaza...great shopping, great eats...beautiful!

4 comments:

Kaye said...

I am SO glad that you had a great trip! It's important to re-connect with our roots every once in a while. And FYI. . . I would have been interested to see where you used to make out!!!

A Musing Mother said...

I could almost hear the clicking of the heels and you saying, "There's no place like home..."

Wendy said...

I hope the trip replenished your spirit and gave you a much desired change of pace.

Susan said...

Ok. Now I feel guilty. I pass the parking lot on a regular basis where I used to make out.

Oops. Am I really admitting to that?

Sounds like you had a great trip!