Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bad Mommy Confession #249

Ok, you probably shouldn't read this entry if you believe in mythical creatures like the Easter Bunny, Big Foot or an honest politician (notice I didn't mention Santa.  That's 'cause Santa rocks!).

So full disclosure aside, I am a lousy tooth fairy.  The worst.  If tooth fairies had a union, I'd be black balled.  My darling nine year old girl--who is on the cusp having all her childhood fantasies ruined by her older, more worldly brother--faithfully put her latest dental casualty under her pillow last night.  Actually, I put it there.  In a baggie.  With her name on it.  Oh, and the date that the tooth was lost.  Then I promptly forgot about it.  Yeah.  

This morning my girl came downstairs looking a little crestfallen.  Then she said, "I didn't get anything last night.  Nothing.  No note. No money...nothing."  That's when the clanging started in my head.  An alarm clock going off about ten hours too late.  I tried to cover it up.  She's got another loose tooth.  Maybe the tooth fairy is waiting for that one to fall out so she can do double duty in one night.  Maybe there were budget cuts.  Maybe she'll come tonight!  I deftly changed the subject.  But all day I've thought about how disappointed my girl was.  I let her down.  And believe me, this wasn't the first time.  Our house is visited by a special needs tooth fairy, one who doesn't hold with time schedules or deadlines.  But each time I forget I get that same twinge in the area of my heart.  The one I get when I make a mommy misstep.  It happens a lot.  Maybe it's just further proof that I haven't reached that point in my life when I stop making mistakes.  But I think that point might be death...so I'll take the guilt and keep trying.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go fish a couple of bucks worth of change out of the bottom of my purse.

No comments: